Two closely related versions both in Madrid, one fully autograph by both painters (Ertz 1979 #300), the other a collaboration with Jan the Younger. Both are considerably larger and painted on panel.
Faber Kolb argues that this painting of 1604, the year that Jan Brueghel travelled to Prague, was probably made for Rudolf II in whose collection it was by 1615 according to the inventory of his goods to be inherited by Albert and Isabella (De Maeyer p.317); Faber Kolb 2005, pp. 52 & 55.
Variants: Christie's New York, January 11, 1979 (panel, 61 x 92.5 cm); Koetser Gallery, London, 1958, #16 (panel, 61 x 104 cm).